Monday, December 13, 2010

Thanks for the Memories – Cecelia Ahern

Another note - this one's very out of order, it should have been before the last two.

I enjoyed this one, even if the central premise was a bit unbelievable – but then you always have to give a book that, and I guess that unlike “P.S. I Love You”, this book contains an element of fantasy. This one felt cute and cozy and comfortable, but not in an insubstantial way. I liked the characters, particularly the relationship between the FMC and her dad (the airport scene was brilliant). I guess the one thing I felt uncomfortable with was the hinted-at subject of divorce: one of the main characters is divorced, the other starts the book in a marriage that has broken down. But I guess what I really liked about this book, the reason I enjoyed reading it and when I finished went out to try to find more by the same author, was the well-drawn, colourful, and entertaining characters and the cheery and cheerful way they cope with what life throws at them.

I should add here for clarity that I finished this book a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. If that doesn’t quite come across it’s because I’ve written this and the two posts that follow at 3am having woken up feeling headachy, cold, and faintly sick. I know that life isn’t really as bad as it feels right now – that in a few hours I will no longer be alone or cold or miserable (I’m in Wales, for goodness sake, it doesn’t get better than this!) I know it, but I don’t feel it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home