Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Soul Music – Terry Pratchett

Having just compared the previous book I read to this one, I thought I’d read this one again. Last time I read it was 15 years ago when I was in a band, so I thought it would be interesting to see if it was as good as I remembered.

It was probably better.

It’s also probably the most idolatrous thing I’ve ever read. That’s purely subjective – for other people, Shakespeare In Love might be more idolatrous, or Pride and Prejudice maybe, or Independence Day. Depends what you’re in danger of worshipping. Sex, love, relationships, the happy ever after. Or maybe freedom, or nationhood, or your particular way of life.

It struck me that actually most films and stories are a bit idolatrous – in that at the end of them, everything is happy because the characters have achieved something, something that we’re effectively asked to worship in the place of God. And perhaps the level to which a film or book really strikes a chord with us (or to which we fall in love with it, if you’re that way inclined) is a measure of how much it tempts us into idolatry? I’d kind of hope not, otherwise I shouldn’t be reading or watching films, let alone writing my own novels!

Buy that’s a scary thought and one I don’t really feel up to following through right now (I’m hoping I’m being OTT, but my heart’s not entirely in it). And I digress. Yes, reading this again it was as good as I remembered. Half the little song references I didn’t pick up on last time. And I still loved the hints about where the universe came from. One, two, one two three four – let there be rock. Now was it AC/DC who said that? Or was it Spinal Tap?

2 Comments:

Blogger Vicky Beeching said...

Hi Tom! You've commented on http://www.cyber-soul.com before - we'd love to have you back as we've re-launched. See today's post!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Vicky Beeching said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home